"Only One Thing Worth Being Concerned About" this Christmas

Wow, the Christmas season seems to get busier and busier every year.

I took a few minutes to watch A Charlie Brown Christmas last night. Even back in 1965 when the show made its debut, a reminder was needed that the meaning of Christmas is not metal trees, light contests, or pageants. When all hope of a wonderful Christmas seems to be lost, Linus steps up to the stage and quotes the Christmas story from Luke 2:8-14. After quoting the verses, Linus kindly reminds Charlie that Christ is the true reason for Christmas.

How much more do we need to be reminded of that this year?

This weekend I read this story from Luke 10.

38 As Jesus and the disciples continued on their way to Jerusalem, they came to a certain village where a woman named Martha welcomed him into her home. 39 Her sister, Mary, sat at the Lord’s feet, listening to what he taught. 40 But Martha was distracted by the big dinner she was preparing. She came to Jesus and said, “Lord, doesn’t it seem unfair to you that my sister just sits here while I do all the work? Tell her to come and help me.” 41 But the Lord said to her, “My dear Martha, you are worried and upset over all these details! 42 There is only one thing worth being concerned about. Mary has discovered it, and it will not be taken away from her.”

The story reminded me not to worry and be anxious over details but to focus on Christ and His love...especially in this holiday season.

Ask yourself…am I busy with all the details of the season or am I focused on Christ? Am I full of love, joy, and peace or am I full of worry, stress, and anxiety.

Don’t be like Martha. Don’t be distracted from the real meaning of Christmas. It is so easy for us to get distracted.

My prayer this season for each one of us (myself included!!) is that we would not be distracted with all the details of the season. I pray our hearts would be full of love, joy, and peace rather than worry, stress, and anxiety.

I will likely be on vacation next Wednesday so have a wonderful Christmas everyone!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment