Immersion Staff UPDATE: 01.29.07

"Where have all the cowboys gone?"

This question has been resonating in my mind for the last couple of weeks. It came after I woke up with the song with same title in my mind one morning. That happens every now and again - God speaks to me through random little tunes showing up in my mind in the morning. At any rate, a few weeks ago, it happened to be a Paula Cole song, where the chorus states over and over, "where have all the cowboys gone?"

Some lyrics from the song:

Why don't you stay the evening
Kick back and watch the TV
And I'll fix a little something to eat
Oh I know your back hurts from working on the tractor
How do you take your coffee my sweet
I will raise the children if you pay all the bills

Where is my John Wayne
Where is my Prairie Son
Where is my happy ending
Where have all the cowboys gone

I heard this song again today as I was walking around the mall, praying and enjoying a half-caf mocha. It made me think, "what would have to be going on in a woman's life to have this bubble up inside of her, the cry of 'where is the man who's going to take care of me, share this life with me, be my strength and support?'" As I listened and thought, it suddenly hit me: This is the cry of the women of the Immersion generation.

This post, in no way, shape, or form, is meant to demean or ostracize or criticize the male gender. Being male myself, I'm finding more and more that we, as men, don't know how to be "cowboys" - and by cowboys, I mean the men that God designed us to be for the women in our life. Not supermen, but a real and strong presence in the lives of our women.

At any rate, the more and more I talk to you, the women of Immersion, and the more I talk to my wife who is neck-deep in relationships with some of you, I see your desire for godly, strong and faithful "cowboys" in your life and how it seems that "cowboy" is never going to come. I want to affirm you that God is preparing a generation of men here at Immersion who will be able to lead you and provide for you in the way that you desire to be.

The question remains, though, "where have all the cowboys gone?" We are a generation that is afraid of commitment. Afraid that the "next best thing" lurks just around the corner and to commit to something now may mean losing out on what's around the proverbial corner, regardless of how unrealistic or unattainable the "next best thing" is.

We desire to be strong, but are afraid that we'll never be strong enough. We desire to be everything that you want us to be, but are afraid we'll fall pitifully short. We are selfish, because society has told us that this is "Okay" and is our right as men.

So, women of Immersion, keep holding out for your cowboy. I'm glad my wife did for me - she reminds me of how far I've come and how big my heart is and how I'm not as big of a failure as a husband as I think I am... Which is always a nice thing :) God will bless this desire in your heart. Rest in that.

Peace to you...

Justin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment