Fear Not


I know God is speaking to me when He lays some thing on my heart and then I cannot get it out of my mind. I think about it all the time and then it seems this theme is showing up everywhere in my life. This week, it's been the idea of fear.

I began thinking about this last week in church as I was listening to one of the most powerful sermons I've ever heard. I was moved beyond words. Why? Because I saw myself so much in it....too much. From start of the drama with the girl trying to fight off every temptation thrown at her, to the end when she surrrenders it all to God. That was me...beginning to end. If you were there, you may have seen yourself in it too.

It got me thinking...

What if every person in this church...this city...this country, actually believed this? What if every one saw themselves in that skit? Do we understand the power that could come from all these people being saved?

The reason I ask these questions is because lately as I look around church, I see people I know, friends even. They call themselves Christians. They say they believe in God. They go to church every Sunday. But they aren't exactly Christ-like outside the church walls. I won't go in to specifics...you can probably guess the kind of behaviors I'm referring to. Obviously they have a desire to go to church, otherwise they wouldn't be there. Isn't this desire from God Himself? So what is holding them back from experiencing all that He promises? Why do they continue to engage in a lifestyle that is taking life away from them?

I know what was holding me back and I'm sure I'm not alone - FEAR. Isn't it fear that prevents any one from moving forward? Fear of what your friends might think. Fear of what you might have to give up. Fear of being called to do some thing that doesn't quite fit in to the plans you have made.

People are only afraid of things they do not know, understand, or trust. Fortunately, we have the Bible, God's Word that is nothing but TRUTH. And the truth will set you free. Are you expectant of God's blessings but not willing to be obedient to Him in every area of your life? What is holding you back?

This is the message we heard from Jesus and now declare to you: God is light, and there is no darkness in him at all. So we are lying if we say we have fellowship with God but go on living in spiritual darkness; we are not practicing the truth.
1 John 1:6

0 Comments:

Post a Comment